I am just madly in love with San Diego!! I’ve only spent a total of about 40 hours there. But both times I’ve been have been great.
How do you fit in as much as SD has to offer in such a short time? Not sure how we did it, but we did. We hit Old Town, Gaslamp District, The zoo, Coronado (the Beach) and a ferry ride. Plus two nights of sleep.
Here’s how we did it…
- Booked a hotel within walking distance of the ferry pier and of Gaslamp district. We stayed at the Sofia Hotel. It was a great choice.
- Since we arrived at the hotel at 3pm we quickly got settled and jumped in an Uber to have a late lunch in Old Town. YUMMY Food and Margaritas. We wandered around the area and got a good feel for it, but wished that we had come earlier and gotten to visit the museums. (reason #1 for a return trip)
- After returning to the hotel, we headed out to the Gaslamp district. The piano bar that we were told to visit was packed by the time we got there, so we decided to just wander the streets. That was enough for us. We found a Starbucks and did a little people watching and I bought my mug. (I collect Starbucks’ mugs from places I have visited)
- Saturday morning we hit the ground running (not literally…I only run if being chased). Jumped into an Uber and went to the Zoo. The driver suggested that we take the tour bus first thing and then decide what we want to see again. Great idea. We actually ended up seeing almost the entire zoo again. What an amazing place. So many animals. (reason #2 for a return trip)
- Lunch was at our hotel. They were still serving Brunch so I got Eggs Benedict and we split an order of Beignets.
- Uber again to the rescue…This time our driver was dressed like a giraffe. Yes, you read that correctly a giraffe. It was Halloween Weekend, so I guess it was expected at some point.
- We had our driver drop us at Hotel Del Coronado so we could go to the beach. What a beautiful beach. We laid on the beach for about an hour and half. Finally, I decided it was time to put my feet in the water. BRRRRRRR (reason #3 for a return trip)
- After the beach, we decided to walk the mile & half to the ferry pier and took the ferry back to SD.
- Quick dinner at our hotel and early to bed for these girls…Alarm set for 4:30am